[OM] Re: Slipping Closer (long)

Subject: [OM] Re: Slipping Closer (long)
From: Rob Harrison <robhar@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:16:08 -0700
On 7/19/06 1:41 AM, "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Digital does not automatically fix color management issues.

(Big SNIP...'cause I'm on my way to work...)

I'm talking about the issue of "color management" rather than "color
accuracy." Different kettle of fish.... I'll always tweak the colors to make
them look good...which may or may not reflect the actual scene. The problem
with the Fuji Frontier "scans at development" I'm getting from Ivey is that
a) they vary randomly between superb and crappy and b) if they are scanned
in sRGB colorspace (which seems to be the case from what Ivey tells me)
there's no expanding them beyond that, which automatically limits the
quality and thus usefulness for 8.5 x11 portfolio print purposes, even if
the resolution is adequate.

That is, I've discovered the basic problem is that the $14.95 per roll ~2 MB
each scans at development are fine for web use and proofing, but not for
high quality printing. Thus, if I continue to use film, I need better scans
of (only) the negs of which I want high quality prints, which adds another
hardware, software, time and/or expense to the process. Starting with a
digital file bypasses that step...but as you say, not the color accuracy
issues.

My printer and monitors each have custom calibrated profiles, so I'm getting
pretty close to what I see on screen out of the printer.

More later....

Rob in Seattle