[OM] Re: Slipping Closer (long)

Subject: [OM] Re: Slipping Closer (long)
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 17:08:13 -0700
Starting to get pretty limited scope ...

Often when taking a picture in a bathroom, the E-1 is against the wall with
the 7-14 at the wide end and I'm trying to reach the shutter release without
any part of me showing in the picture. A wireless camera release should be
more useful than live view for my use. A $100 Quantum cable should get me
there. I haven't seen a used one. :-(

Wireless or tethered connection to a laptop would be most effective. Looking
for burned out highlights, deep shadows, laundry, or unwanted reflections
requires a reasonably large screen. ... But if the owners, as in this last
case, just got back from a vacation, the house is a mess, I'm moving stuff
out of view for each shot, and they are having a dinner party in 3 hours,
there's not much time to review beyond a quick glance at the camera review
LCD. Even positioning the strobes came down to was it adequate.

Largest printed real estate image is about 5x6. I've been happy with
uncropped 9x12 E-300 landscapes. A moderately cropped E-1 image at about 5x6
is still very nice. A sharp 12mm fixed focal length on the 5D might be a one
lens, one camera solution for all of my interior shots.

But for fun and games such as landscapes of places I visit, the resolution
of my real estate photos isn't adequate. I find a shift lens very desirable
when I can move the camera. Often the interior shots have only one workable
location for the camera so the perspective correction is easily done after
the shot is taken. If I can move, being able to see the corrected image is a
real advantage while composing it. I love the shift lenses but find I seldom
use them indoors. I think Rob had used a shift lens for his image looking
down from the top of the stairs. Most of the time the camera is pointed
fairly close to level, both floors and ceilings given similar weight.

-jeff