[OM] Re: E-500 senior picture

Subject: [OM] Re: E-500 senior picture
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 06:53:21 -0400
I've tried three different browsers but I don't see the image change
when I pass my mouse over it.  I do see what I assume is the original
image when I click on the image.  But, since there are supposed to be
three images and only two histograms it's not clear what's what.  Is the
smooth histogram from the original or a 16 bit edited version?

The change between original and whichever image I'm seeing is quite
clear to me.  Whatever has been done has introduced artifacts across the
entire image that look to me just like digital noise.  The smooth skin
tones of the original have been lost.

I think the major failing of the image, and maybe why you don't seem to
be satisfied with your editing, is the blown doorway surrounding dad and
baby's heads.  In any photograph our eyes are naturally drawn to the
brightest area and the blown doorway is just too large, too bright and
too much competition for the dad and the kids.

I'm not going to try it because it's a lot of work but if it were my
image my first attempt at recovery would be to fill all the blown white
areas in the doorway with the blue-gray or perhaps the lighter turqouse
color from the edges of the door frames while still trying to hold onto
whatever tonal variations do exist.  Difficult and still might not work
but worth a try if it's an important image.

It looks to me like you've made a signficant change to contrast (LCE?)
but I don't think that's needed here.  Since I haven't seen the other
image maybe it's much better.  But, on what I see, what is needed is
some brightening of the people and a little more selective brightening
of the eye sockets and other shadowed areas of the faces.  But I'd stop
well short of exposure changes that appear to mottle the skin.  Skin
color and texture are much more important than brightness and contrast here.

Probably the first and maybe the last time I'll ever give the Moose
advice on editing a photo but this one is people stuff and that's my
main game.

Finally, your comment about converting 8 to 16 bit before processing
causes me so say, huh?  I'm not sure I could do the math correctly even
if I was more awake but I'm skeptical that this would lead to any
different result after the 16 bits were finally converted back to 8 bits
for printing.  But I'm not sure.  Certainly having 16 bits to start with
is the desirable case but it's not clear to me at all that converting an
8 bit image to 16 bits will change anything.

Chuck Norcutt