[OM] Re: Got my E-500 yesterday

Subject: [OM] Re: Got my E-500 yesterday
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 15:46:49 +1000
Don Shedrick wrote:
> Received my E-500 (the two zoom lens kit) from Cameta on eB*ay
> yesterday.  They are offering some nice packages, and I was not sure
> how long the good deals will last, and the rebate will end July 31,
> so I gave in to temptation.

I bought the same kit from Cameta.  Generally happy with the deal until
I discovered the extra BLM-1 battery wasn't genuine Olympus.  That fact
wasn't made clear on the oboy ad...

Did a little playing around with it last
> night, but still figuring out all the bells and whistles.

Don't leave home without the manual.  If you haven't used a DSLR before
it'll take a while to know what's what.  Or maybe I am just a slow
learner, who knows.

It seems great except for the small viewfinder.

Yeah, if Oly could fit an OM-sized viewfinder in a DSLR they'd kill the
opposition.  I was selling cameras when the OM-1 hit the market and I'd
show customers a Nik*n or Can*n first then plop an OM-1 into their hand
and one look through the VF had them sold.

Last weekend I had one of those moments others have reported on this
list.  Out shooting with the E-500 and the old OM-1.  I hadn't picked up
the OM-1 in months, just took it out to finish the roll of b&w in it.

I fired off a dozen shots with the E-500 then picked up the OM-1.  After
raising it to my eye I literally went 'woah' and took a step back.  It's
like Panavision after being used to Super 8.

It is a good thing the
> autofocus seems to work so well, even in suprisingly dim light.

I was a skeptic about the low-light AF but after using the camera for a
while I'm darned impressed.  But manually focusing in dim light is
another story.

Andrew McPhee