[OM] Re: ? on B&W photography

Subject: [OM] Re: ? on B&W photography
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 09:54:03 -0300

on 22/06/2006 20:47, Mostly at mostly5@xxxxxxxxx, wrote:

> I personally have always refrigerated, never frozen.  I seem to recall a
> specific film effect one could get from freezing film (made the emulsion
> crack like dried mud) and the freezer has always frightened me. :)

Sometime ago I asked about the risks of freezing film at -20 Celsius, since
I felt as frightened as you are.
So here I go, as if I really knew what to say:
I have several Provia100F and Velvia50 in my freezer (which is not a dry
freezer but a humid cold one) packed into a plastic case which closes
snuggly enough. From three year's time, I didn't get a cracked emulsion like
the one you describe. I've got some other emulsion defects like dark spots
or more often, lighter spots(*). These are nothing compared to how often do
I get scratched positives from the lab.
Of course, I leave the film inside its canister 24 hs. at least during
summertime before loading, hoping to keep condensation to a minimum.

Advice welcomed; as we all know YMMV

Fernando.
(*) Think this could be what Winsor says: