[OM] Re: Torlesse - more for explanation

Subject: [OM] Re: Torlesse - more for explanation
From: Garth <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 08:52:03 -0600
keith_w wrote:

[snip]

  > Speaking only to the first image, the 500mm Zuiko lens on the E-1,
it seems to
> me you really need a haze filter for a shot like that.
> Shooting thru fifty miles of atmosphere is a difficult one to get right.

Agreed.  First thing I thought.  Mind you, getting a UV/Haze filter for
that lens might not be easy.  Yet I still liked the shot.

The other shot that I noticed was ".../Torlesse3.htm," where Brian
mentioned that the E-1 couldn't handle the range of contrast.  This
struck me as a perfect image for bracketing and tone mapping using HDR
techniques.  A buddy of mine is doing this sort of thing for landscapes,
and has actually been asked to submit an article on the techniques by
one of the big on-line photography forum/e-zine hybrids.  He's just
finished a monster 42-page submission, *exclusive* of images, and is
considering writing an Amphoto-style book on the subject.  (Necessary --
most of the HDR stuff I've seen on Flickr and elsewhere is either
shockingly amateurish or horribly misused, giving erroneous impressions
of what HDR is good for...).

Anyway, nice stuff, Brian.

Garth