[OM] Re: ? on B&W photography

Subject: [OM] Re: ? on B&W photography
From: "Mostly" <mostly5@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 18:47:29 -0500
As I understand it, film starts "aging" as soon as it's made.

The significant difference between pro film & consumer film is that pro film
is shipped and timed to hit the sales outlet at peak aging, where it's
refrigerated, which effectively stops the aging.  Consumer film is allowed
to continue to age on the shelf rather than being maintained in the fridge.

I personally have always refrigerated, never frozen.  I seem to recall a
specific film effect one could get from freezing film (made the emulsion
crack like dried mud) and the freezer has always frightened me. :)

The only problem I've encountered with refrigerated film is that if I'm not
very careful, exposure, composition and framing tend to be way off.  I think
the emulsion slips on the film base.  Yeah, that's it. :)

Dave