[OM] Re: Article in Orion Magazine

Subject: [OM] Re: Article in Orion Magazine
From: Rob Harrison <robhar@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 11:43:09 -0700
On May 31, 2006, at 9:27 AM, James McBride wrote:

>  I'm not against logging though. When done
> properly the forest perpetuates and is still beautiful. Lots of
> poor logging
> practices have been used though. Those against all logging should
> live in
> houses made with no lumber. /jmac

I totally agree. There are ways to log that preserve and actually
enhance/restore the forest and habitat. Read Kentucky farmer and
essayist Wendell Berry for the inspiration ("What are PEOPLE For?" is
a great intro), and check out <http://www.fsc.org/en/> for the
techniques. Besides being a rare eco-freak who supports appropriate
logging, I'm unusual in thinking the FSC certification is less
important that following the spirit of the approach they advocate.

Rob in Seattle