[OM] Re: Article in Orion Magazine

Subject: [OM] Re: Article in Orion Magazine
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 12:45:21 -0700
Unfortunately ecologically sensitive logging is the exception rather
than the rule and people who advocate it are just as much the enemy
to the logging corporations as a no cutting group. There is corporate
moral outrage that you would dare interfere with a clear cut or
anything else they might do. Years ago I saw a really ugly clear cut
within sight of the road on the Olympic peninsula. Nothing but old
stumps for miles and an ironic sign touting reforestation and good
stewardship. They don't like it either when you point out that what
is remaining of our forests are going overseas.  I probably see more
logging trucks than most. They are going down the Long Beach freeway
to the port. The vast preponderance of logging is not akin to an
agricultural operation. It is like strip mining.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA