[OM] Re: Macbook 1.83 Ghz first impressions

Subject: [OM] Re: Macbook 1.83 Ghz first impressions
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 14:00:58 -0300
on 29/05/2006 13:06, swisspace at swisspace@xxxxxxxxxxx, wrote:

> The macbook is pretty quiet, the fans started
> and are quite loud when converting a batch of oly raw files to jpgs
> using iview.

[snip]

> CONCLUSION - If my G4 wasn't so noisy I would be quite happy to keep it
> - its performance was enough for me, the macbook with similar
> performance is much quieter and of course smaller,
I feel a little surprised 8^)

Fernando.

<http://www.macfixit.com/>

"More on irritating noises
Meanwhile, users continue to comment on two distinct, irritating noises
generated by the MacBook: a "mooing" noise that occurs when a specific fan
spins up then down repeatedly (similar to the one exhibited by the MacBook
Pro), and a high-pitched noise emanating from the power supply.

MacFixit reader Ian Brown writes:

'I recently purchased the new MacBook.  I let the battery totally discharge
prior to charging it the first time.  I plugged in the power adapter to
charge the battery and continued to use the MacBook, but I noticed a high
pitch scream from the power adapter that changed pitch whenever the disk
drive was accessed, presumably due to increase load.  The noise is
reminiscent of old switch mode power supplies."

Mark O'Brien adds:

'I received my MacBook yesterday (2.0GHz, 120GB HD, 2GB RAM) and have
exactly the same mooing sound. The video you linked to shows exactly what
I'm hearing when the computer is sitting idle at my desk. Peak sound occurs
about every 7 seconds. I'll download the Core Duo Temp app tonight and see
what the readings are when the fan cycling occurs."

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please let us know." - end quote.