[OM] Macbook 1.83 Ghz first impressions

Subject: [OM] Macbook 1.83 Ghz first impressions
From: swisspace <swisspace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 18:06:36 +0200
I know of at least one list member ;-) who is interested in the macbook
(1Gb RAM), so here is my first day opinion.

Having read Walts postings on his new windows machine and as I work as a
system administrator OSX is lovely to move to new hardware, reinstall
osx to get rid of all the excess baggage approx 45 mins - copy all
applications across from old mac approx 1 hours, so two hours after
machine arrived it is up and running like the old one - anyway enough on
that.

I am finding it about the same performance as my modded g4 (sonnet dual
1.8Ghz 2gig memory but 100Mhz bus), which is really fast enough,   it
was just too noisy for me. The macbook is pretty quiet, the fans started
and are quite loud when converting a batch of oly raw files to jpgs
using iview.

The macbook converted the images about 5 percent faster (the images are
on an external firewire drive compared to the g4) both taking about
2secs per image. The Macbook feels snappier to use in general, photoshop
started up slightly slower than on the g4 but gimp started slightly faster.

I am hoping I gain some battery life for the slower CPU speed of the
2Ghz macbook, which should be a little faster.

CONCLUSION - If my G4 wasn't so noisy I would be quite happy to keep it
- its performance was enough for me, the macbook with similar
performance is much quieter and of course smaller, so now to auction the
sonnet etc. It isn't a full comparison just a first impression. Now I
have all I need computer, scanner and camera and lens wise - for the
time being ;-)

Om content, we took Cai on his first holiday this weekend to wengen
along with the E1 and om and 21mm. Here is a sample shot from the E1, I
will post more when the om shots are developed, more in gallery.

http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/photos/72143953-M.jpg

IanW