[OM] Coming soon to a website near you, IS-3 testing

Subject: [OM] Coming soon to a website near you, IS-3 testing
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 22:05:20 -0700 (PDT)
Well, in an attempt to get a handle on the lens quality of my
IS-3 for my Isle Royale trip, I did some controlled testing
today. All I'll say is I'm totally floored that the results were
opposite of what I was expecting. I scanned the entire test roll
(Ilford XP2 Super) using the Coolscan V and yesterday's version
of Vuescan.

Just to tease you a little bit, here's a couple of observations:

1. As a general rule, resolution is "film limited" by the XP2
emulsion (which is remarkably fine grained and has outstanding
edge detail). I'd retest with a finer grained film, except XP2
is about the only B&W I'm shooting anymore. So, it really
doesn't matter, I guess.

2. The viewfinder coverage is somewhere around 80%. I never
realized just how far off it was.

3. Even with the wasted resolution due to the viewfinder
coverage mismatch (gotta love 100% viewfinders), the resolution
gain as compared to the E-1 is quite a bit--but only at certain
apertures. What is so evident is the absolute brick-wall of
resolution with the digital cameras where film has a nice
transition.

4. Throw out everything you ever thought you knew about the
ideal apertures for lenses. This critter breaks the rules.

Stay tuned, I'll be working on this during the F1/Indy/Nascar
races.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com