[OM] Re: (OT?) Back From Southwest Trip

Subject: [OM] Re: (OT?) Back From Southwest Trip
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 16:29:11 -0700
James N. McBride wrote:
> Some of the people living and teaching in Berkeley bring the ridicule and
> sarcastic comments on themselves by their behavior.
And yet, I mildly dislike Houston for the weather, topography and
traffic, not for those few of the people who live there, like the Enron
criminals, who become notorious. The people I worked with and met there
were quite as nice as those I've known elsewhere.
> The people living there are accustomed to it and joke about it among
> themselves. I think Moose uses
> the term Berzerkely.
Yes, indeedy!
> Stereotypes are earned but certainly never apply to all people in the
> effected group.
Indeed. Unfortunately, they can also form a convenient excuse for those
who find difference and diversity fear inducing and distasteful a reason
to justify feeling, thinking and sometimes acting in opposition to their
stated religious and/or moral values without having to consider the
individual differences in the stereotyped group. On balance, I think
stereotypes are more pernicious than useful.
> We need to laugh about stuff or the world will be a very depressing place.
Couldn't agree more.

Moose