[OM] Re: I think the monitor transition has occured

Subject: [OM] Re: I think the monitor transition has occured
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 14:02:12 -0700
Laptop screens are designed to conserve the energy in the battery not
provide the best image. Restraining the angle of view to a small one
is one way to do that. Most are so narrow that you can scroll a large
image and watch its brightness and contrast change as it goes from
the top to the bottom of the screen. Even though I have a PB with a
better than average screen, during the initial D200 banding furor I
frequently could not see what they were talking about unless I used
my desktop machine with its LCD display.

Stand alone LCDs are indeed much better, but not uniformly so. So
either evaluate in person yourself or buy one with a favorable review
in a magazine.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA