[OM] Re: I think the monitor transition has occured

Subject: [OM] Re: I think the monitor transition has occured
From: keith_w <keith_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 14:44:23 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> Laptop screens are designed to conserve the energy in the battery not
> provide the best image. Restraining the angle of view to a small one
> is one way to do that. Most are so narrow that you can scroll a large
> image and watch its brightness and contrast change as it goes from
> the top to the bottom of the screen. Even though I have a PB with a
> better than average screen, during the initial D200 banding furor I
> frequently could not see what they were talking about unless I used
> my desktop machine with its LCD display.
>
> Stand alone LCDs are indeed much better, but not uniformly so. So
> either evaluate in person yourself or buy one with a favorable review
> in a magazine.
>
> Winsor
>
> Long Beach, California, USA

In the past year, I've replace both my TV monitor and my computer monitor,
with flat screen units.

Previously, both were CRTs.
The TV was a 27" Sony.
The CPU monitor was a 16" (actual) off brand.

I prefer the CRTs.

Not that I don't LIKE the LCD screens, I do. They take up so little space, and
are lightweights! I LOVE that!
But, for nuance, for detail, for contrast, give me a CRT every time...

I make the decision to keep the flat screen LCDs on purpose. It's not because
I can't live without them...

keith whaley
Los Angeles