[OM] Re: OT - energy efficient cars

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - energy efficient cars
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 08:03:44 -0300

> There must be diesels and diesels. I have read a couple of comparison
> tests between high fuel efficiency gasoline models, VW TDs and
> hybrids. The VW diesels seem to be the worst of the lot, slower than
> the other two options and worse fuel efficiency. In this country with
> diesel fuel out pricing gasoline and a Toyota Echo getting more miles
> per gallon(only in the high thirties) there seems to be no argument
> for diesel cars at all even assuming I could buy one in California
> where the diesel is not clean enough to be sold.
>
> Winsor
> Long Beach, California, USA

I compared the VW Jetta diesel (rated at 39mpg city, 56mpg highway), before
I bought the Pontiac Vibe (same as Toyota Matrix) (rated at 36mpg city,
45mpg highway) a few days ago. Based on the 40,000 kms. per year that I
drive, and the present prices of fuel (92 cents per litre) here in Maine
where I but most of my fuel, and the significantly higher purchase price of
the VW diesel car over the Vibe gas car, it would still be significantly
more expensive to drive the VW overall. I think perhpas it might start to
even out if you drove about 70,000 kms per year.
Of course, the other considerations for me was (1) the fact that at my 6
foot height, I just don't fit comfortably in the VW, whereas as the Vibe is
very adequate for leg room for me, and (2) the cost of repair parts here for
the VW is rather silly in comparison.
Wayne