[OM] Re: [OT] A question about phone numbers

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] A question about phone numbers
From: Andrew L Wendelborn <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 10:24:20 +0930
At 8:48 AM +1000 2006.05.13, Wayne Harridge wrote:

>> I don't know of a number search but you could use
>> http://www.192.com/ to
>> try and find his new number - you don't have to enter a location.

Interesting. Has entries free to look up, but most need payment.
35 GBP min subscription is not cheap though (for occasional use).

I'll pick a nit with it though. I tested it with the name of a friend in
Scotland. But it doesn't recognize Scotland as a separate entity: only
operates to county level. This could start a civil war :)

>Looks like that is for the UK, is there a similar service for Oz ?

Not that I know of. Its advanced search shows that it collects results from
different sources, including electoral rolls. I don't think that level of
integration exists here yet. For example, for electronic lookup of electoral
roll details you need to go to an Electoral Commission office. There is an
online verification service, but it needs exact entry of details. And certainly
won't give a phone number.

We did a project with a student a couple of years ago that sent queries about
plant names to databases at several State herbaria and integrated the results,
accessed via a web service. Not entirely trivial. So we can find plant specimens
but not people :)

regards
  Andrew