[OM] Re: [OT] A question about phone numbers

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] A question about phone numbers
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 07:52:41 -0600
At 07:31 AM 12/05/2006, Foxy (Terry and Tracey) wrote:

>A totally off topic question.
>
>I want to contact a friend, Harry, I haven't spoken to for over 12 months.
>He is no longer at his phone number. When I call the number I get an office
>that is unattended.
>
>He lived in Nottington, Dorset, UK. I would like to write and contact the
>new owners of the number, or find out who they are and ask about Harry. Does
>anyone know of an on line reverse number search for England?

I used to work for a phone company, and my wife still does.  It is
*extraordinarily* unlikely that the new "owners" of the phone number
will know *anything* about the previous user.  This is because phone
numbers, once released, get randomly reassigned after a waiting
period (here in North America, usually around six months unless the
telco's running desperately short of available numbers).  It is
virtually impossible that the number once re-assigned will have any
physical or geographical connection to the location it used to terminate at.

Case in point: almost two years after having moved into my Calgary
home, the number we were assigned is still being phoned (at all hours
of the day and night) by people all over the planet who believe this
number is the way they contact a well-known oilfield supply and
service company.  I've gotten calls from as far away as North Sea
drilling platforms, and when I inform them that this number is now
used by a private residence, almost invariably the first question
they ask me is "Oh.  So where did so-and-so go?"

How the Devil am I supposed to know that?

If your friend didn't leave a forwarding phone number interrupt,
trying to track him down via that route may be impossible.  If he
lived in rental housing, perhaps a letter or phone call to the
landlord or property agency.  Otherwise, it's an attempt to try and
track him down via more "official" sources, such as Government
offices that normally track people for social welfare or taxation
purposes.  In an extreme instance, you may need to hire a private
location service or investigator.

Good luck.

Garth