[OM] Re: Holy cow, Batman. $460 for a new e-1.

Subject: [OM] Re: Holy cow, Batman. $460 for a new e-1.
From: Saso <vs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 05:40:58 +0200
In the message I received, Chuck Norcutt writes:

[Raising the distance between film plane and glass plane on V750 from
factory default significantly improves scan sharpness]

>So much better, in fact, that after the setting change the reviewer
>declares the V700 to produce better film scan results than the Nikon
>4000 dedicated film scanner.  This is exactly the opposite of his first
>opionion of the scanner.

Well, we've heard these flippant announcements before, pretty much every
time a new piece of technology comes out.

A comparison scan[1] shows that old Nikon scanner still produces much
better results. Granted, it is a scan of MF film, not 35mm; it is a
comparison between V700 and LS-4000's MF brother, LS-8000 (same
technology).

Saso

[1] http://www.terrapinphoto.com/jmdavis/ about 2/3 down the page