[OM] Re: Holy cow, Batman. $460 for a new e-1.

Subject: [OM] Re: Holy cow, Batman. $460 for a new e-1.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 21:05:06 -0700
Saso wrote:
> In the message I received, Chuck Norcutt writes:
>
> [Raising the distance between film plane and glass plane on V750 from
> factory default significantly improves scan sharpness]
>> So much better, in fact, that after the setting change the reviewer
>> declares the V700 to produce better film scan results than the Nikon
>> 4000 dedicated film scanner.  This is exactly the opposite of his first
>> opionion of the scanner.
>>
> Well, we've heard these flippant announcements before, pretty much every
> time a new piece of technology comes out.

I think flippant is not the right description of Victor or his reviews.
He is pretty careful and through and always posts lots of samples for
the reader to judge for themselves.
> A comparison scan[1] shows that old Nikon scanner still produces much
> better results. Granted, it is a scan of MF film, not 35mm; it is a
> comparison between V700 and LS-4000's MF brother, LS-8000 (same
> technology).

Thanks for the link. I will look at these when my eyes feel more like
it. I'm already pretty sure, however, that it has more than enough
resolution for the old MF film I want to scan. Nothing like scanning old
shots to make me realize how much improvement film went through the last
few decades.

Moose