[OM] Re: I have relented ....

Subject: [OM] Re: I have relented ....
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:13:47 -0400
At 06:22 PM 4/27/2006, you wrote:
>So, what do you guys all do ?  What am I missing ?  What am I doing
>wrong ?  Why are the images so different in PS compared to Olympus
>Master ?  Why can I not edit the Raw file in Olympus Master and save it
>again as a Raw file ?  (eg: I wanted to do the red-eye removal on a
>couple of shots, then do the colour balance.  Both these processes are
>in different areas of the Olympus Master software, so I have to do the
>red eye bit, then save as a TIFF, then how do I adjust colour balance on
>the TIFF ?)  Why is it taking so long ?  I thought digital was supposed
>to make photo-taking easy ­ at this rate I?ll be spending a full day in
>front of the PC for every hour I spend taking photos.  Not quite what I
>had in mind.

We would probably have to know what steps you have taken to
set up your color management to get a handle on the issues.
Getting everything to be consistent between devices, cameras,
monitor profile, work color space, monitor calibration, printer
profiles, and so on.

The Olympus software is really slow to work with. The latest PS
CS2 raw converter, (and others like RawShooter Essentials) greatly
improve on the speed. PS will automatically correct for the
various color profiles. Did you shoot in Adobe or sRGB. It is a
step by step process that has to get right or everything will be all
over the map. Without knowing what color space and color profiles
each thing is working with, it would be hard to diagnose.

Once you get this down, things will smooth out a lot. But this is the
most frustrating part of the digital workflow to get right.

WayneS