[OM] Re: OT Nikon sales attitude

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Nikon sales attitude
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 11:56:45 +0100 (BST)
> Page 13 of the review tells the story, unfortunately not where one would
> look for it in the review. Because of the live, interactive nature of
> his reviews, the scans on page 10 devoted to 35mm are still there, but
> the page 13 rescans are what to look at.
>
> Look at the lower half of the page
> <http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson%20V700/page_13.htm>.
> Resolution is clearly not just as good as, but better than, a Nik*n 4000.
>
> How much the V750 will improve on this performance, who knows. But one
> or the other is pretty clearly the current choice for anyone who wants
> to do 35mm through 8x10 scans.

The v700 looks attractive however from looking at the review I have some
issues with it. Firstly although it has ICE looking at the loss of windows
and other artefacts the ice is not that good, certainly compared to my
current scanner the minolta (RIP) scan dual 5400. Also I am concerned
about the levels of noise in the scans. I do a 16 pass scan for archival
purposes. I can't find any mention of a multi scan ability. Certainly it
looks like I get far less noisy night shoots than the review. Night
photography is one of my main hobbies so I need low noise. I am also
concerned that the 24bit scans and 48 bit scans show virtually no
difference when the brightness is turned up. With the Minolta especially
with 16 passes 48 bit mode has significantly more shadow detail than 16
bit. This is easily showable by scanning a HCT colour calibration target
and cranking up the brightness.
Overall the v700 looks good considerring its price and facilities however
I am after the most I can possibly get from my 35mm and 120 and I am not
convinced that the v700 beats my 5400 at 48 bit with 16 passes.
Regards
James