[OM] Re: Wrong Camera, Right Time

Subject: [OM] Re: Wrong Camera, Right Time
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 23:54:41 -0400
At 11:26 PM 4/14/2006, you wrote:
>Moose wrote:
>> Still, it seems to me there is more in many of the images than
>> you are showing. I've taken the liberty of posting alternate
>> versions of four of your shots
>> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/GCanyon/index.htm>.
>
>I really like what you did with the first one. These images were
>only converted in RSE and downsized for web display. Absolutely
>nothing else was done.  I like what LCE (local contrast
>enhancement -- ie a very wide and slight USM adjustment) did.
>Very few digital images could do without LCE.  I tend to not do
>much with RSE files, though, because it already dows a slight
>bit of LCE as part of the conversion.

I've been using LCE fairly regularly with my ACR converted
files. I have found that I need to reserve just a touch of room
in the highlights as the LCE tends to spread the distribution
just a bit. So I don't cut the highlights too close with levels
before LCE, and I often have to reduce the exposure
from what ACR wants on auto to preserve highlight room.
(my LCE: 20-30 pixels at 20-30% typically).
On some photos, just as you get a small halo affect with
too much regular sharpening, you can get a large halo with
LCE, for certain subject matter. LCE also seems to
be very sensitive to the %, not so much to the pixels.

WayneS