[OM] Re: Boy, did I stir up a storm !

Subject: [OM] Re: Boy, did I stir up a storm !
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:33:29 -0800
Jon Mitchell wrote:

> As expected I have had recommendations for the Olympus cameras, Nikons
>and Canons.  Everyone is going to defend their decisions, and this is
>natural, but the reasons for your choices have been enlightening.

One more piece to put in your research is something I didn't get around
to mentioning in response to all the posts about dust and the Oly shaker.

As I understand it, the dust shaker operates every time the camera is
turned on. As a result, the on to 1st. shot time is quite long compared
to many of the other cameras mentioned, over 1 1/2 sec. vs. something
like 0.2 sec for the contemporary Can*ns.

This won't be an issue for some, but is for me. If you have a camera
which has timed out and turned off, raise it to your eye and push the
shutter release, newer Can*ns simply take the picture; like the old OM
bodies. there is essentially no lag. With an E-thingie, there is a delay
of about 1.7 sec. This is not insurmountable; my 300D has about a 3 sec.
delay; may not sound like much, but it is really annoying at times. So I
have tried to train myself when wandering with it to touch the shutter
button whenever I even think I may want to take a shot. So when I'm
paying attention, I usually don't have to wait. Setting a longer delay
time for auto off helps too. Of course, both of these strategies have an
impact on battery life.

>As I said, I had discounted Nikon for this
>reason as their glass can be very expensive.  Canon seem to have a range
>of lenses at a range of price points, but for the really good glass it
>seems you have to pay big bucks (or pounds !).

Some of the cheaper Can*n lenses are optically very good, others less
so. Nik*n is still a non-starter for me because I can't use any of my OM
mount lenses on them.

Moose