[OM] Re: Minolta Elite 5400 II - AC adapter - Idiot in need of Help...

Subject: [OM] Re: Minolta Elite 5400 II - AC adapter - Idiot in need of Help...
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 06:43:09 -0800 (PST)
> We're still using an old desk like that - in the studios that
> used to be Thames Television.  You'd be surprised at how many
> freelance Sound Engineers here expect them to be that way.  I
> believe that some of the newer "computerised" desks are even
> configurable in the menus to allow the faders to work either
> way.  I never even thought about it until I saw the one we
> have, but it actually seems somehow "correct" that way.
> A little counter-intuitive perhaps, but somehow easier to
> follow.

The dirty little secret is that many of the manufacturers of
higher end boards (broadcast and production) stuck a little dip
switch inside the units which changed the directionality of the
faders.  In nearly every case, it's not documented.  The
engineers stuck it in, but the sales/marketing folks couldn't
figure out "why" it needed to exist.  So the next time you have
a board opened and am wondering what that undocumented switch is
for...  Yes, nearly all digital boards are reversable.

> production of a lot of TV programmes here.

One of these days I'd like to get back into that world again.  I
do miss it a lot.  Telecommunications is pretty dull in
comparison.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com