[OM] Re: Minolta Elite 5400 II - AC adapter - Idiot in need of Help...

Subject: [OM] Re: Minolta Elite 5400 II - AC adapter - Idiot in need of Help...
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 22:41:21 -0000
<snip>
Reminds me of the time I had to use a audio mixer built to BBC
specifications.  The faders were off at the top and maximum
level at the bottom.  As the legend goes, when linear faders
first came out the reason why they ran them backwards was incase
the board operater fell asleep, he'd fall forward and push
whatever fader that was on into the off position. Much better to
have dead air than things going on the air that shouldn't.
</snip>

We're still using an old desk like that - in the studios that used to be
Thames Television.  You'd be surprised at how many freelance Sound
Engineers here expect them to be that way.  I believe that some of the
newer "computerised" desks are even configurable in the menus to allow
the faders to work either way.  I never even thought about it until I
saw the one we have, but it actually seems somehow "correct" that way.
A little counter-intuitive perhaps, but somehow easier to follow.

And for the record, AG, it's an old (as in 20 years or so) Calrec audio
desk.  2 studios, 2 consoles, 1 huge room with all the control.  It's
all digital logic controlled.  And when I say digital logic, I mean
racks and racks of old logic chips (and/not/nor gates etc.).  Sure is
fun trying to keep that thing going day-to-day - it's still used in the
production of a lot of TV programmes here.

Regards,

Jon