[OM] Re: Digital vs film resolution

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital vs film resolution
From: james king <jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:32:28 +0000
  So maybe
>>with emulsions, where you have variable sized grains, plus taking into
>>account the log scale for brightness, film doesn't look as bad as the
>>ON/OFF theory proposed in Luminious Landscape article.

or depth of emulsion, I don't believe the emulsion is one grain thick -
film is three dimensional not two. With multiple grains stacked up on
top of each other in the emulsion there is the possibility for multiple
shades within the one long thin grain on the principal each grain that
it on or off blocks some light so the stronger the light the more grains
will be on or off

emulsion

        on
        on
        on
        on
        off

base

ofcourse varied size grains AND multiple grains stacked up n top of
eachother would allow even more conbinations in somthing with a small
top surface area - which is really what the argument is all about. I.e.
digital sensors are 2 dimensional with "dead" spaces between each sensor
whereas film has sensors which are variable in size and stacked upon
eachother in a three dimensional 'matrix' :-)
Regards
James

P.S.
I teach computer science at masters level not chemistry/photography so I
may be talking total junk :-)