[OM] Re: Digital vs film resolution

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital vs film resolution
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 10:52:18 -0500
At 09:15 AM 3/8/2006, you wrote:
><...>
>The point about pixels being analog also isn't true, of course,
>because pixels do not have a continuous range of values. (The number
>of values they can assume is less than infinity.)

The world is really discrete rather than continuous, we think analog is
"infinitely" continuous. Noise, discrete photos, electrons, etc limit the
"infinite" part to some usable range. The fact the sensor output is
quantized does not mean the sensor itself is not "analog". And if
the quantized levels are below the noise level, for all useful intent
it is an analog representation.

The analog world is just one big bandwidth limited signal-to-noise ratio.
Continuous is lost in the noise; just an approximation.

Wayne