[OM] Re: Digital vs film resolution

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital vs film resolution
From: james king <jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 15:01:28 +0000
james king wrote:
> C.H.Ling wrote:
>
>>Your calculation on the film grains seems not right, if all grain has the
>>same size you need 256 (16x16) grains to represent 256 levels. But film
>>grains has variable size so you never know.

The second way to get 256 combinations from 8 grains is if you *assume*
each grain is twice the size of the next one. i.e. grains are not all
the same size

so largest grain on all other off represents 128 half way between d min
and d max
all grains off is dmin
all grains of is 128 + 64 + 32 + 16 +8 +4 +2 +1 = 256

however I still prefer the idea that the emulsion is multiple grains in
thickness and therefore this reduced the need to have a super grain of
multiple grains width.

Regards
James

Sorry I should have explain my reasoning about depth in the first email