[OM] Re: [OM-D] PMA 2006 Olympus info?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM-D] PMA 2006 Olympus info?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 20:20:41 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

>An OM Zuiko 50/1.4 and OM/EOS adapter sounds like a good alternative to
>me.  I had to pay over $100 for my good quality adapter but I see there
>are now what appear to be good quality, Chinese made chrome plated
>bronze adapters for under $30.  Actually, I just found this one:
><http://cgi.ebay.com/Olympus-OM-lens-Canon-EOS-body-adapter-10d-20d-5d-rebel_W0QQitemZ7595532817QQcategoryZ43479QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>
>that has a BIN price plus shipping of less than $30.  Maybe I'll buy a
>couple more to keep them mounted on selected OM lenses.

I bought one of these from the same seller. I think I paid more like $40
total as prices were sliding down. It's quite well made/finished, and
fits all the lenses I've tried it on so far. Certainly closer to a
correct copy of a true Oly female bayonet than the hand made, unplated
one I've been using for some time.

The one thing I would be concerned about si the tension maintained by
the mount with a heavy lens. If you look closely at the pictures, you
can see a sort of "open in the middle mouth " shape to the tensioners.
When first mounted, it is very stiff going on. After being used a bit
more, it's smoother. And now the little tent-like structures have
changed to rather flat, with very little difference between top and
bottom lips. I assume this is intentional to assure that slight
machining differences don't affect snugness of the mounting.

On the other hand, the somehwat different desing of my older one
actually deformed slightly with heavy lenses, resulting in play in the
mount. I've fixed it using small aluminum shims that seemto to do the
trick. Of course this new one may use brass with different mechanical
properties that won't give a problem.

Anyway, based on limited use so far, it's certainly worth the cost. The
seller isn't communicative. I went for the $10 shipping and it showed up
in just over a week.

Moose