[OM] Re: [OM-D] PMA 2006 Olympus info?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM-D] PMA 2006 Olympus info?
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 21:03:55 -0500
At 06:18 PM 3/5/2006, you wrote:
>>One reason for choosing the 5D is lens availability with a full frame
>>sensor.  I wanted to do the 35mm equivalent of 28-200mm with f/2.8 glass
>>with no more than two lenses.  With a full frame sensor you can do it
>>with a 28-70 and a 70-200. ...
>
>Good reasoning... I am myself just starting to consider the possible options.
>Not really happy with the E-1, and not willing to buy any more ZD lenses.
>So... D200 or 5D or 30D... Ah, choices ;-)

I went through my own reasoning. The 14-54 + 50-200 on the E1 covers a
lot of territory. But no IS, poor high iso, and not so reliable auto-focus in
low
light or under dimmed lights (after firmware upgrade). I switched to the 5D
to be able to shoot my daughters wedding, *reliably*. 5D flash worked great
and I was able to get some really nice shots I never would have with the E1.
So, what is the value on those shots? Certainly covers $500-1000 the 5D may
drop in price. The 5D was the perfect solution. I gave up hope that Olympus
would ever be able to get the noise performance. Wedding shots from
the E-1 were colder. The white balance sensor can sometimes affect
the color in some situations and fool the camera. It is hard to really know
how these cameras think sometimes. Sometimes my hat would shade
the WB sensor. The E-1 has a neat little wireless remote, a real missing
feature in the 5D.

All cameras have their issues and good pictures can be had by them all.
I'm in agreement with Ag on the ergonomics. I have had to adjust my grip
and strap arrangement to accommodate the Canon. The E-1 is one of the
best hand grips ever. I don't like camera straps around my neck, so the
camera hangs loose with strap wrapped around my wrist. When holding
the camera to shoot, I have to rest the weight in the palm of my left hand.
My right thumb has the tendency to get tired easily. I like the 3/2 FF format.
The Canon lenses manual focus is just not a Zuiko, or Digital Zuiko in feel.
But IS, lower noise, are nice, and changes the way you think when shooting.

Canon makes some nice lenses, so does Olympus and so does Nikon.

What I really want, though, is a digital Xpan with 65x35mm sensor. After
all, printers are getting better also, I want some wall sized pano's I can walk
into.

Wayne