[OM] Re: [OM-D] PMA 2006 Olympus info?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM-D] PMA 2006 Olympus info?
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 11:14:43 -0400
Quoting Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Based on an interview with a Japanese Oly executive I read some time ago
> (sorry, I didn't save the URL) I read between his lines and came to the
> conclusion that PMA will see an announcement (but no actual hardware)
> for delivery sometime later this year.  Just as with the E-330 they've
> been waiting on the right sensor.  I think 8MP will be enough (witness
> the new 30D) but if it doesn't have noise performance close to the Canon
> (within 1 stop) I think they'll be dead meat.  I found it very
> interesting that Canon didn't go above 8MP on the 30D.  Good low noise
> sensors are their strong point and I think they must not be able to
> maintain the 20D's performance above 8MP.  It could also be that they've
> been waiting for Canon to show their hand.  Is the megapixel race
> finally over?

It's hard to say for C*n*n what the reasoning for keeping the sensor at 8mp was.
Remember, the 5D isn't that old, they probably want to make sure that there's
enough differentiation between their products. Also there's the price point
they're aiming for and then what segment of the market that will attract. I
think with digital it's a question of low cost, noise and resolution, pick any
2.