[OM] Re: Which equipment to Thailand?

Subject: [OM] Re: Which equipment to Thailand?
From: Andrew L Wendelborn <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 09:06:03 +1030
At 3:56 PM -0400 2006.02.14, Andrew Dacey wrote:
>Quoting orava@xxxxxxxx:
>
>> Still on the other hand we'll be staying there for only 3 weeks, so can some
>> moist air do any harm to a camera in that time? (Supposed that I dont play
>> soccer with the camera ;-)
>
>If it's just 3 weeks I wouldn't worry too much about moisture. If you're rooms
>have AC then that will help a lot for overnight storage. Pack some silica gel
>in your camera bag for piece of mind.

I agree on all points. I regularly take an OM or two and a selection of
lenses on my work trips to Singapore. With care, humidity can be handled.
Silica gel is a good idea.

One annoying problem with transitions from inside A/C (which is often
near freezing) to outside sauna conditions, is condensation. To help with
that, I have every item in a ziplock bag -- this provides an adjustment buffer,
and alleviates the problem a lot. Also, I turn the AC off whenever I can, but
I suspect that in Thailand in May you won't want to do that.

My usual kit is a 1n or 2n (sometimes both), plus a wide (28/3.5 or 21/3.5),
tele (either 135/2.8 or 100/2.8), either 28-48 or 55/1.2, a 2x converter, and
Minolta spotmeter (which I can mostly do without but there are times when it's
invaluable).

As has been mentioned, you'll need a lot of water. When we lived in
Thailand for a few months, we discovered the value of electrolyte
replacement fluid, especially after some walking in the heat.

One activity that's good on the heat is to hire a longboat and explore the
waterways. You can end up in all sorts of odd and interesting places. Make
sure the gear is well protected though -- they sit just a few cm above the
water. (And don't drink the spray :( )

>I'd suggest leaving the 135, it's not that much extra reach. Add a 2x converter
>if you have one and that would turn the 90/2 into a 180/4 when you need to.

Yes.

>I meant to ask where you're heading in Thailand?

Yes -- Thailand extends from mountains in the north (which would be much
cooler in May), to the tropical southern beaches.

Have fun!

Andrew