[OM] Re: Incidence angle and digital sensors

Subject: [OM] Re: Incidence angle and digital sensors
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 07:31:04 -0800 (PST)
> Many of us remember the Oly presentation that explained why OM
> lenses would not be usable on a digital body.  To a certain
> extent Canon and Nikon have shown it to be exaggerated, but
> it is interesting to see the latest Luminous Landscape
> article has a reference to colour shifting across the sensor.

I do believe that they did stretch it a little bit, but it
really is true.  However, in the case of the 4/3 sensor, the
amount of it is very limited.  A full-frame 35mm definitely
would be problematic if, say, the sensor used in the E-1 were
FF, 35mm.

I'm using a lens that pushes the limits of off-axis light
pathing.  The Zuiko 35/shift which is being loaned to me by
Joel.  (I think he wants me to buy it back).  Anyway, the
results are absolutely amazing--however, you have to work for
them.  When the lens is used with minimal shift, the image is
sharp and uniform edge-to-edge.  When used at maximum shift, the
fall-off is noticable and the chromatic aberations start to show
up.  The severity is overstated, though.  A five-frame stitched
panaramic (ultra-easy to stitch), gives me around a 16MP image.
The fall-off and edge distortion is very similar to what we see
of wide-angle lenses on the 5D or the 1DS cameras.  Really, in
the case of a maximum shifted image, only about 1/3 of the image
would be considered to be "marginal".

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com