[OM] Re: New Oly SP500UZ gets scorched in dpreview

Subject: [OM] Re: New Oly SP500UZ gets scorched in dpreview
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 07:20:58 -0800 (PST)
> BUT, the bigger problem I worry about is the fact that the
> camera was a lemon. Battery drain was ridiculous. Store
> replaced it, but very disconcerting when buying a plastic
> fantastic camera. I don't have too
> many hopes for longevity,

This discussion reminds me of my own choice of getting the
Minolta A1 a couple years ago.  I researched and researched and
almost even went for the A2, but in the end I made my choice and
have stayed with it.  Last year, I did add the E-1 to the harem,
but I kept the A1.

The anti-shake functionality really DOES work.  Extremely well,
actually.  Would it be the deciding factor in recommending a
camera?  Hardly.  Think about it--most of these people buying
these SP500UZ class cameras shoot with them INDOORS and with the
doflicky internal flash.  As they are primarily using flash, the
image-stabilization feature is not really utilized to any great
benefit.  Outdoor vacation shots at Old Faithful or the Grand
Canyon will be used with the zoooooooom, but anything that's
recognizable in a 3R print will be totally acceptable.  Unless
the picture is of the late Aunt Maude with the kids and this was
the "trip of a lifetime" there won't be ANY pictures blown up
larger than 4x6". Even then, there will be ONE 8x10 made and
it'll sit in a frame on somebody's dresser for awhile.

So, basically, IS in this class of camera really is a
non-starter as far as the real market-base is concerned.  It
just falls into the "cupholder count" category.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com