[OM] As promised. weekend report

Subject: [OM] As promised. weekend report
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 20:28:58 EST
As reported last week, this weekend was one in which I trotted a bit of my
work in front of folks at two juried art shows.  Each of these were  art shows,
as opposed to photography shows, the first did have a photography  category
and the other did not.  In the first I was awarded a first and  third place
ribbon, which sounds pretty good, however the competition was not  particular
strong.  It was certainly not at the level of the monthly  competitions with
the
Houston Photographic Society.  I was pleased to place  as it was my first
competition with a group of artist I've thrown in with and  with whom I am
renting
studio space.  The second juried exhibition was at  The Arts Alliance Center
at Clear Lake, where I have exhibited previously.   In this one there were no
separate categories so each piece had to stand its own  amongst the entire
field.  There were a little over four hundred entries,  from which 125 or so
were
selected for exhibition and two of my three images  will be exhibited.  This
pleased me, given that when I turned in my entries  on Saturday and saw all
the fabulous and large landscapes in the competition, I  figured my time could
have been spent just as well sleeping in rather  than driving the 45 minutes or
so to their site. One of the images was a 9.5 X  12.5 and the other was 6.5 X
8.5 and they looked like they were in the valley of  the giants.  Hate to
break it to you, but it looks like size doesn't matter  . . .

The point of all this rambling is just to let for know I am out there
playing and to encourage each of you to do the same in whatever arena you
desire  to
play.  For me, it is nice to get the acknowledgement of others  and playing
with other talented folks seems to kick it up a notch for  me.  It keeps me
moving in a forward direction.

Of the four images, all were done with the e-1 and three were done with a
pinhole.  <[8^)   Bill  Barber