[OM] Re: OT: Adobe Lightroom - with grab

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Adobe Lightroom - with grab
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 21:35:40 -0600
On 1/15/06, Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Joel
>
> I had to go and look up "otiose" in my trusty Shorter Oxford (1983)
> (!) and there's nothing unctious about you I'll warrant Joel; and
> there's nothing otiose about a "u" that takes the place of a double
> consonant ... ;-)

There's no pulling the wool over your eyes, Chris. ;^)

> The Camera RAW functions in Lightroom are pretty close to what PS
> provides.  I suppose that the difference comes from the fact that
> Lightroom is trying to be a complete workflow for most of your
> digital (or digitized) images.  In addition, the work you carry out
> on your images does not change your original file; you can fiddle
> around with your image but Reset at any stage.  You can also export
> an image to PS.  The interface in each mode (see the screen grab I've
> sent you) is clean and useful.  There are some bits missing, a Crop
> function for instance, but not much in my view.

It looks more elegant and colorful than PS or Viewer (my two best
known interfaces), but not more capable, though I don't have any idea
what those little buttons in a vertical column on the right border do.
 So I remain agnostic, as I am about most claims for latest, greatest
Mac goodies.

> Why not use Adobe DNG Converter to convert your .ORF files?  Will
> Explorer show them?

I don't recall seeing that in the MS list of supported files. Even if
it were there, I'm not sure that converting ORF files just to be able
to review them in Explorer makes sense for me.  I'm simply looking for
a method of reviewing RAW files quickly after uploading them from the
CF card.  For now Viewer has worked best for that, and I'm satisfied,
though I find Viewer a little "tetchy" from time to time, as though it
doesn't use memory efficiently.

Joel W.