[OM] Re: Weird problem on my OM1n

Subject: [OM] Re: Weird problem on my OM1n
From: "tOM Trottier" <tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 18:10:45 -0500
On 10 Dec 2005 at 6:26,
Chuck Norcutt <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I agree with Simon.  The all look very overexposed to me.  It's just
> that some are worse than others.  The problem could be that the
> meter is wrong, that the shutter speeds are not accurate or that the
> lens diaphragm is sticky and does not close down quickly enough...
> or some combination of all three.
>
> To check the meter set the ISO dial at 125.  In bright sun (late
> morning to early afternoon) the meter should conform to the "sunny
> 16" rule. This is a "rule of thumb" that in bright sun with the lens
> set to f/16 the reciprocal of the shutter speed should be equal to
> the ISO.  So, at ISO 125 and f/16  the meter should be calling for a
> shutter speed of 1/125th second.  At ISO 250, 1/250th second, etc.

Unless the ground is covered with snow...

Fill the frame with snow in midday sunshine and it should read, at
125 ASA and F/16, between 1/500 and 1/1000.

Or fill the frame with untanned caucasian skin in midday
sunshine.  At 125 ASA and F/16, it should read 1/250.

> If it's cloudy with no shadows at ISO 125 and shutter at 1/125 the
> aperture should be f/5.6 or f/8.
>
> To check the lens remove it from the body.  Set the aperture ring at
> f/16 or whatever its smallest aperture is.  The lens diaphragm
> should remain open regardless of the setting.  Then find the tab on
> the back of the lens that causes the aperture to close.  Snap the
> spring loaded tab with your finger several times as fast as you can.
>  The aperture should open and close just as fast.  If the blades are
> sluggish in closing down there may be oil on them.  If they don't
> close quickly the lens aperture
>   may be wider than set at the time the shutter fires which will
>   cause
> overexposure.
>
> Sorry, I don't have any easy check for shutter speed except that if
> the meter and aperture are OK the shutter speed is all that's left.
> If the meter or shutter are at fault you'll have to have the camera
> serviced. If the lens diaphragm is at fault and it's just the
> standard 50mm f/1.8 lens it would probably be cheaper to buy another
> lens than to have it serviced.

You can check the fast (1/125 & shorter) shutter speeds by
taking closeup pics of your CRT TV screen. Focus so it's sharp.
The screen is painted every 1/60 second by 262 or 263 lines,
15,720 lines per second. Put a ruler at right angles to the lines on
the negative (need a magnifying glass!) or print and you count
them to determine the actual shutter speed using this table:
Lines
Shutter

                                                                15
                                                              1048

                                                                16
                                                               983

                                                                17
                                                               925

                                                                18
                                                               873

                                                                19
                                                               827

                                                                20
                                                               786

                                                                21
                                                               749

                                                                22
                                                               715

                                                                23
                                                               683

                                                                24
                                                               655

                                                                25
                                                               629

                                                                26
                                                               605

                                                                27
                                                               582

                                                                28
                                                               561

                                                                29
                                                               542

                                                                30
                                                               524

                                                                31
                                                               507

                                                                32
                                                               491

                                                                33
                                                               476

                                                                34
                                                               462

                                                                35
                                                               449

                                                                36
                                                               437

                                                                37
                                                               425

                                                                38
                                                               414

                                                                39
                                                               403

                                                                40
                                                               393

                                                                41
                                                               383

                                                                42
                                                               374

                                                                43
                                                               366

                                                                44
                                                               357

                                                                45
                                                               349

                                                                46
                                                               342

                                                                47
                                                               334

                                                                48
                                                               328

                                                                49
                                                               321

                                                                50
                                                               314

                                                                51
                                                               308

                                                                52
                                                               302

                                                                53
                                                               297

                                                                54
                                                               291

                                                                55
                                                               286

                                                                56
                                                               281

                                                                57
                                                               276

                                                                58
                                                               271

                                                                59
                                                               266

                                                                60
                                                               262

                                                                61
                                                               258

                                                                62
                                                               254

                                                                63
                                                               250

                                                                64
                                                               246

                                                                65
                                                               242

                                                                66
                                                               238

                                                                67
                                                               235

                                                                68
                                                               231

                                                                69
                                                               228

                                                                70
                                                               225

                                                                71
                                                               221

                                                                72
                                                               218

                                                                73
                                                               215

                                                                74
                                                               212

                                                                75
                                                               210

                                                                76
                                                               207

                                                                77
                                                               204

                                                                78
                                                               202

                                                                79
                                                               199

                                                                80
                                                               197

                                                                81
                                                               194

                                                                82
                                                               192

                                                                83
                                                               189

                                                                84
                                                               187

                                                                85
                                                               185

                                                                86
                                                               183

                                                                87
                                                               181

                                                                88
                                                               179

                                                                89
                                                               177

                                                                90
                                                               175

                                                                91
                                                               173

                                                                92
                                                               171

                                                                93
                                                               169

                                                                94
                                                               167

                                                                95
                                                               165

                                                                96
                                                               164

                                                                97
                                                               162

                                                                98
                                                               160

                                                                99
                                                               159

                                                               100
                                                               157

                                                               101
                                                               156

                                                               102
                                                               154

                                                               103
                                                               153

                                                               104
                                                               151

                                                               105
                                                               150

                                                               106
                                                               148

                                                               107
                                                               147

                                                               108
                                                               146

                                                               109
                                                               144

                                                               110
                                                               143

                                                               111
                                                               142

                                                               112
                                                               140

                                                               113
                                                               139

                                                               114
                                                               138

                                                               115
                                                               137

                                                               116
                                                               136

                                                               117
                                                               134

                                                               118
                                                               133

                                                               119
                                                               132

                                                               120
                                                               131

                                                               121
                                                               130

                                                               122
                                                               129

                                                               123
                                                               128

                                                               124
                                                               127

                                                               125
                                                               126

                                                               126
                                                               125

or just divide the number of lines you count into 15720.

You might test longer speeds by recording the sounds on your
computer, eg with Studio Recorder from APH, and checking the
time between the sound of the shutter opening and closing,
(which would be between the mirror flipping up and down).

tOM

-- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur --
   ,__@         tOM Trottier
 _-\_<,         758 Albert St., Ottawa ON Canada  K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        N45.412 W75.714         +1 613 860-6633
Architecture</a>
     Q,  Q,
    </  </      I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences
 (`-/---/-')    attending too much liberty than to those
attending
~~@~~~~@~~~~~~  too small a degree of it.-Thomas
Jefferson