[OM] Re: Weird problem on my OM1n

Subject: [OM] Re: Weird problem on my OM1n
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 06:26:00 -0500
I agree with Simon.  The all look very overexposed to me.  It's just
that some are worse than others.  The problem could be that the meter is
wrong, that the shutter speeds are not accurate or that the lens
diaphragm is sticky and does not close down quickly enough... or some
combination of all three.

To check the meter set the ISO dial at 125.  In bright sun (late morning
to early afternoon) the meter should conform to the "sunny 16" rule.
This is a "rule of thumb" that in bright sun with the lens set to f/16
the reciprocal of the shutter speed should be equal to the ISO.  So, at
ISO 125 and f/16  the meter should be calling for a shutter speed of
1/125th second.  At ISO 250, 1/250th second, etc.

If it's cloudy with no shadows at ISO 125 and shutter at 1/125 the
aperture should be f/5.6 or f/8.

To check the lens remove it from the body.  Set the aperture ring at
f/16 or whatever its smallest aperture is.  The lens diaphragm should
remain open regardless of the setting.  Then find the tab on the back of
the lens that causes the aperture to close.  Snap the spring loaded tab
with your finger several times as fast as you can.  The aperture should
open and close just as fast.  If the blades are sluggish in closing down
there may be oil on them.  If they don't close quickly the lens aperture
  may be wider than set at the time the shutter fires which will cause
overexposure.

Sorry, I don't have any easy check for shutter speed except that if the
meter and aperture are OK the shutter speed is all that's left.  If the
meter or shutter are at fault you'll have to have the camera serviced.
If the lens diaphragm is at fault and it's just the standard 50mm f/1.8
lens it would probably be cheaper to buy another lens than to have it
serviced.

The light seals may still be OK but should probably be replaced as a
standard practice with other service.  Most OM-1's also have a piece of
foam around the pentaprism which can deteriorate and destroy some of the
silvering on the pentaprism.  That foam should be removed during
service.  If it has already casued damage it would be visible as a
discolored spot in the viewfiner.

Chuck Norcutt