[OM] Re: Which Camera To Count on

Subject: [OM] Re: Which Camera To Count on
From: swisspace <swisspace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 10:03:25 +0100
The way I see it is if the camera takes good pictures today, then surely
it will take good pictures in 2 years time, with digital it is a
probable  given that the bodies will not be worth repairing when they
break, but with less moving parts they should last longer unless sensors
wear out. so in terms of which body will last it doesn't really matter
unless you are into the current use once and upgrade mindset, and as the
kit lenses that come with both are relatively cheap that is also not a
real consideration .  So use your head and buy which ever one fits your
hand best - I personally prefer the size and feel of the E500 to 350D
though I wouldn't swap my E1 for either - though I would like some of
the features ;-)

The real question as I see it is what lenses should you invest in, to
which of course you know what  answer you will get from this list
already :-) . The 4/3 rds lenses are no doubt more convienient than the
old manual zuikos  but they do tie you to a particular system and in my
opinion are  going to be more likely to fail with time and more costly
to repair than a manual zuiko. If you invest in old zuiko glass (yes we
tried it on the E500 and 350D and you have to change the settings for
best results), then it will work on a variety of digital bodies with
appropriate adapters but less convienience which for me is no problem
because I am usually not taking pictures in a time sensistive manner and
at the moment my eyesight is okay.

That then leaves you with the problem of wide angle shots - you will
have more alternate manufacturers lenses to choose from with a canon
body such as sigma etc, but the olympus digital lenses are good enough
to keep up with the best or better them so it saves you wasting your
time trying to choose which would be the the best lens.

In conclusion though,  my colleagues at work (IT not photo)  all have
different cameras a d70 d50 20d 350d e500 and my e1  and we all like our
own kit, both the canon users have bought new lenses to replace or
supplement the kit ones and the d70 owner (like me with zuikos) had a
lot of nikon glass already . the d70 and 20d have had to be sent away
for sensor cleaning ( an often overlooked advantage of the e500).