[OM] Re: OT: eBay payment advice sought

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: eBay payment advice sought
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 08:06:29 -0000
Bill Barber wrote:

> Given that you are going to have to see the caravan before you hook it up
> and drive off, I might prefer to see it before I won it if that was possible.
>
> Does he provide good pictures?

It's all a bit academic now, as spookily he has withdrawn the caravan from sale
(hmmmm), but he provided good pictures.

> What is his feedback rating?

49/100%

> Do you have anyone in his area you would  trust to take a look at it?

It's quite some way from the nearest person I could have asked to take a look.

>  Have you asked questions about any concerns  you have about condition?
> A couple of question I will often ask are, "Were  you buying this item
> is there anything about its condition that you would want to know that
> I don't know at this time?" and "If so, what is it?"

That is very good advice and a very good way to phrase it.

> If after asking my questions and going to Bolton to fetch it, I was
> satisfied with its condition, I'd either pay with PayPal, telling
> the seller in advance what you intend to do.  I would also not have
> going to pick it up  be a process that kept him hanging.  I might
> also tell him before the end  of the auction what my plans were in
> the event I won the auction. For example in  this case, after all my
> questions had been answered, I might send him a message  and say
> something like, "In the event of my winning this auction, I will
> come to pick it up within three days and will PayPal you the funds
> for the Caravan while  at your home/business."

Also good advice, I think.

> Remember the PayPal account, rather than your bank account, will need
> to have the funds available in order for the seller to know they have
> actually been paid when you make the payment.

My PayPal comes straight off the credit card. Which is why it seems to be so
safe. If PayPal won't cancel, the c/c company will. But I'm not sure if PayPal
allow transfers of £3,000.

> Cash is an option, depending on your comfort with traveling with
> that much cash.

It's not Florida, you know!!

Regards,

Simon