[OM] Re: OT: eBay payment advice sought

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: eBay payment advice sought
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:03:52 -0000
Andrew Fildes wrote:

> Will he take a check? :)

I may not be pretty, but I still think I'd rather keep my face intact!

> The escrow function deals with this problem - you pay but it's held
> in trust until you release it. This technique is favored by murkins
> for big purchases I believe but not well known elsewhere (prolly due
> to unfamiliarity with the word escrow!) The escrow sites are third
> party operations, like the sniper sites, which charge a commission
fee.
> Is there a facility like that available somewhere in the UK?

Yes, I'm sure there is. But I expect the van will be right. It's more a
question of discovering a problem later on or getting a visit from the
old Bill.

> (Oh, and if he listed the chassis number then you can bet that it
isn't
> stolen - or that he knows how to change a chassis number!)

That was also my theory. If he's open about it, and the chassis number
looks right on the undisturbed plate when we get there, then chances are
it's fine.

But 3,000 vans go missing annually in the UK, so it's a real worry.

Regards,

Simon