[OM] Re: OT: eBay payment advice sought

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: eBay payment advice sought
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 08:15:04 EST
In a message dated 11/21/2005 2:40:16 A.M. Central Standard Time,
simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Advice  sought.

I'm going to bid on a relatively expensive automotive item  (caravan; ca.
£3000) which I have not seen and is in Bolton.

Assuming I  "win", which is fairly likely, I can pay by PayPal or by cash on
collection.

Given that you are going to have to see the caravan before you hook it up
and drive off, I might prefer to see it before I won it if that was possible.
Does he provide good pictures?
What is his feedback rating?  Do you have anyone in his area you would  trust
to take a look at it?  Have you asked questions about any concerns  you have
about condition?  A couple of question I will often ask are, "Were  you buying
this item is there anything about its condition that you would want  to know
that I don't know at this time?" and "If so, what is it?"

If after asking my questions and going to Bolton to fetch it, I was
satisfied with its condition, I'd either pay with PayPal, telling the seller in

advance what you intend to do.  I would also not have going to pick it up  be a
process that kept him hanging.  I might also tell him before the end  of the
auction what my plans were in the event I won the auction. For example in  this
case, after all my questions had been answered, I might send him a message  and
say something like, "In the event of my winning this auction, I will come to
pick it up within three days and will PayPal you the funds for the Caravan
while  at your home/business."

Remember the PayPal account, rather than your bank account, will need to
have the funds available in order for the seller to know they have actually
been
paid when you make the payment.  Cash is an option, depending on your
comfort with traveling with that much cash.  Here again, look at their
feedback.
Zero feedback would tell me to use PayPal. Much positive  feedback would make
me comfortable with a cash transaction.

Bill Barber