[OM] Re: OM-10 film advance problem

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-10 film advance problem
From: "PhotoSphere Olympus Camera Service" <olyfix@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:30:07 -0500
The rewind release on the OM-10 is made of plastic, and we've been seeing
them wear out for years.  Not so the OM-1/1n and 2/2n, which used all-metal
parts for the rewind release (two versions, as usual -- sharp edges for the
original, rounded for the "n" models, but fully interchangeable).

The rewind release _should_ spring to the vertical (engaged) position with
the first advance after rewinding, but when worn out (or dirty, sticky,
etc.) may not.  The least costly solution is to be sure and manually rotate
it to the vertical position after rewinding, or it can be replaced with a
good used part from a donor camera.

> Sorry about the inept phrasing, it was the sprocket roller, not the takeup
spool that rotated freely. When I realized something was amiss with the
rewind knob not rotating or offering resistance, I thought the film had
slipped out and reset it. Then it happened again. I turned the knob hoping
it was just some slack and the film rewound all the way into the cartridge -
dumb move.

> It gets dumber. I just picked up the OM-10 after reading your reply and
played with it and then at last I turned it over and looked at the front.
The rewind-release lever was still in the rewind position! I turned it 90
degrees, and sure enough the sprocket is now rotating when I use the film
advance lever.

> I was expecting the same behavior as with the OM-1, whose rewind-release
lever resets automatically when the camera is reloaded. I'll know I need to
reset it manually on the OM-10 and it'll be ready to go, or so I hope. Maybe
I'll try a double exposure using that... I've got a bag full of expired film
to goof with.