[OM] Re: OM-10 film advance problem

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-10 film advance problem
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:52:44 -0700
Philippe Le Zuikomane wrote:

>I was just wasting film in Chicago when the OM-10 I was using developed a
>problem. Although the film frame counter moved and the shutter got cocked when
>I used the lever, the receiving spool failed to rotate. I wonder if this could
>be remedied by an inexpensive repair? -  Phil

Do you mean the takeup spool and/or the drive gear/spool? The drive
spool actually pulls the film from the casette across the film gate. The
takeup spool then winds the film up. For a couple of reasons, the takeup
spool is driven through a friction clutch.

First, the drive spool moves the film the same amount each time.
However, the diameter of the spooled film changes, so the amount the
spool needs to turn changes as you go through the roll of film. So the
takeup spool clutch prevents either pulling too much or not enough on
the film.

Second, when you rewind, the takeup spool clutch gives a nice steady
resistance to the backward motion, keeping the film slightly taut so it
will wind correctly into the casette.

In rewind, the drive spool is completely disconnected from the drive
mechanism and freewheels. This is set by turning the little rewind knob
on the front. If that knob doesn't do its automatic return to normal
position when the camera is wound, the drive wheel won't turn when you
push the wind lever. So the first thing to try is whether the knob has
returned to vertical.

If that fixes it, there is probably dirt/stiff grease/etc. under the
rewind knob. If the drive spool operates correctly, but the takeup spool
doesn't, something is wrong with the clutch or gear connection inside.

Repair to an OM-10 is usually uneconomic, in that one can buy a nice
clean working OM-10 or the better OM-G(20) from me or other listee
members for less than a repair costs. If it's not the rewind, if it were
mine, I would take the top off and check out the takeup drive mechanism,
which is all up top.

Moose