[OM] Re: OT Digital Point and Shoot

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Digital Point and Shoot
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:27:20 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:

>I recommended a Nikon CP7900 to a friend because of my experience
>with the CP5200 and she loves it. It is a tiny, light(5 oz.)metal
>bodied camera. The images are crisp and color is very nice right out
>of the camera and it is very simple to use.

Not quite as sharp as the F10, but the difference will never be seen by
most users. Almost a quarter bulkier, but the same weight.

>They have gone the extra
>mile for user friendliness. When exploring the scene modes and other
>menu items touching the zoom button will instantly bring up an
>explanation of the option on the menu. Menu fonts are large and easy
>to read. It has a manual, but you don't really have to read it.

That sounds great for so many people. Good thinking, Nik*n.

>And it has a viewfinder in case the sun is out and you can't see the LCD.

I still don't have any problem with that. You shouldn't shoot things,
and especially people, facing directly into the sun anyway.  :-)   The
F10 LCD is quite bright and I think there is a brightness adjustment,
but I find one hand on the camera and one blocking the sun works for me.
Can't see anything on the LCD on my phone in the sun, though. Drives me
crazy in my convertible.

>It has a BSS(Best Shot Selector) setting. If the light is dim you can
>turn it on and hold down the shutter and it will shoot up to 10 shots
>and automatically throw away all but the sharpest shot. Since we
>mostly shake the camera when we first push down the button and steady
>up after that I have gotten some decently sharp shots at really low
>shutter speeds.

Great idea! More good Nik*n thinking.

>It does not work with moving subjects unless they
>happen to pause in the sequence. Of course anti-shake does not work
>with moving subjects either.

Still, gives one a chance to catch folks in moments of rest. I'll still
take the high iso, but this sounds like a great camera for some folks I
know. Thanks for the tip.

Moose