[OM] Re: OT Digital Point and Shoot

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Digital Point and Shoot
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:32:33 -0700
I don't know about the cameras, but I am on an anti-Panasonic kick
lately since my LCD TV bought the farm 3 months out of warranty -
failed motherboard costing more than buying a new one. I thought back
to the 1/2 dozen or so Panasonic devices and all have failed
prematurely in my opinion just out of warranty, except for the DVD
player that I am holding my breath over. A camera is the last thing I
would buy from them.

It is pretty much prevailing opinion that neither the Leica lenses on
Panasonic or Zeiss lenses on Sony are any more than a license to use
the name. Maybe a design for a cheap lens from the mother company but
not built by and not containing glass from the lens makers. I suspect
that is probably true. What is true is that detail is more limited by
the sensor than the lens. I remember a review, on Steve's Digicams,
of a Contax digicam with a Zeiss zoom and he was shocked that such an
expensive camera was no better than a run of the mill Canon, Nikon,
or Olympus.

The names are magical though.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA