[OM] Re: Shots again the E-500

Subject: [OM] Re: Shots again the E-500
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:29:48 -0700 (PDT)
> I suspect that there simply isn't enough horsepower in the box
> to do significant non-lossy compression.  The E-300 and E-500
> do proportionately better than the E-1 and have a good data
> rate but the file size in raw mode is still about double the
> size of the Canon.
> Think how much faster the box would be if it only had to write
> half the data.

My Minolta A1 creates RAW files under 7.4MB compared to just
under 10.5MP with the E-1.  Both are 5MP sensors.  Both are
lossless.  I believe both store the same bitdepth.  What gives?

The E-1 does have a pretty deep buffer which is unaffected by
storage format, though.  You know they pumped a bunch of memory
into the image-processing chain.

AG

http://farechase.yahoo.com