[OM] Re: Shots again the E-500

Subject: [OM] Re: Shots again the E-500
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:39:11 -0700 (PDT)
> Fortunately I don't have to be a "practical photographer" and
> justify my gear by making money with it.

Someday, I hope to be in a similar situation.  Not while the
girls are in private school, though.  Oh, wait, then comes
weddings...  80

> not failing under lights with dimmers...

Like we discussed before, I believe your E-1 is sick.  But
reostat dimmers really can cause AF systems to freak out with
some types of lightbulbs. (if you can hear the dimmed lights
buzz, the AF will hunt like an idiot dog).

> but the emotions were captured. So the big wins for me were,
> the flash, the IS, the higher ISO/lower noise performance, and
> the intimacy I was able to create as the photographer.

Sounds like it was a good investment to me!

> for making choices in gear. And I think Ag probably has the
> best handle of any one I know on practical photography. I'm
> sure he can do things with less than I can with any kind of
> gear.

Uh, thanks.  Form follows function or something like that, I
think. I've seen some of your shots.  You do pretty well with
the ritzy stuff too.  :)

> Who else can turn a 100/2.8 distorted silver nose and come out
> with a stunning photo, working with the so-called limited
> performance?

Whoa, there.  That old clunker of a lens is still able to outrez
the digital camera's sensor!  I may be good, but not that good!

> experiences with it, the borg version of "chunk-o-caster". Raw
> files on E-1 are 10.5mb for 5mp, and the 5D 12.8mp are
> 12-14mb.

And that is probably the most inexcusable part of the E-1. The
RAW files are just too large.

AG

http://farechase.yahoo.com