[OM] Re: [OT] A very peculiar exposure problem

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] A very peculiar exposure problem
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:20:22 -0700
This is just a guess, but image sensors are sensitive to a wide range
of frequencies from infrared to ultraviolet. Some camera makers have
been less careful about filtering the extremes in some of their
models leading to lots of sales of "hot filters". It is hard to draw
the line since people who regulary do IR photography have complained
loudly when all the IR spectrum is filtered out. It could be that the
20D sensor filter is more carefully designed than the one in the A1
and the light you are seeing in the image is not visible to the eye.
Your polarizing filter may have a well designed cutoff in the non
visible spectrum, especially if it is a multicoated one.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA